Myth: The omnibus gives Obama everything he wants.
Fact: Don’t let Democrat and media spin distract you from Republican victories.
- I was one of the leaders to remove the decades-long ban on exporting crude oil, which is estimated to create more than 300,000 jobs in Texas.
- I voted to gut the job-killing, over regulating EPA, setting the agency back more than 25 years.
- With recent terrorist attacks, the bill also puts increased security clearance processes in place to prevent foreign terrorists from entering the U.S. visa-free – closing a key weakness.
Myth: Omnibus weakens our national defense
Fact: I voted to fully fund our military to fight radical Islamic terrorists who want to kill Americans.
- We supply crucial funds for the F-35 fighter jet program which is built in Texas and supports 14,000 jobs in our state.
- Stop President Obama from transferring terrorist detainees from Guantanamo Bay to the United States.
- Provide a much deserved pay increase for our troops.
- For our veterans, we increased funding for health and retirement programs.
Myth: Omnibus weakens our border security
Fact: I voted to fund an additional 1,000 border patrol agents that are needed now to protect our borders.
- This means that in the past year Congress added 3,000 new agents to keep our borders secure.
Myth: This bill funds Obamacare.
Fact: Blocks new funding and strips almost a billion dollars from Obamacare, including the total defunding of the Independent Payment Advisory Board, also known as the Obamacare death panel. Moreover, I voted to block the Prevention and Public Health Fund from being used as an Obamacare slush fund.
Myth: This bill funds Planned Parenthood.
Fact: Maintains the Hyde Amendment, which stops the use of federal funds to pay for abortion services.
- In January, the House and Senate will send President Obama a bill that defunds Planned Parenthood and dismantles Obamacare.
Myth: Weakens protections for the unborn.
Fact: Check the record – I have a strong pro-life voting record in Congress and will always support legislation that furthers the pro-life agenda. This bill creates new abortion restrictions, while maintaining current ones. The omnibus bill forbids the Obama Administration from approving genetic modification of human embryos and restricts United Nations funding due to their involvement in China’s coercive two-child policy.
Myth: The bill is 2,000 pages long, and Congress has barely had time to read it.
Fact: There are 12 individual pieces of the bill, all of which House Republicans have moved through committee this year. 6 of them were passed out of the House. So Members of Congress have had enough time to review the bill’s provisions.
Myth: Funds Illegal Immigration (DACA)
Fact: Nothing in this bill funds illegal immigration or DACA and Federal courts have already stopped the president’s executive amnesty. Also House Republicans voted twice to defund it, but the Senate never passed it.
Myth: The spending levels in the omnibus are just too high.
Fact: Until Republicans took control of the House in 2011, the federal government never cut a dime in spending, but with this bill we fought to successfully cut spending to pre-Obama levels.
Myth: This bill funds Syrian refugees
Fact: This bill ensures that dangerous Islamic Jihadists cannot travel to our country without going through a robust, comprehensive security check.
- You should also know that I cosponsored of two bills that immediately blocks all refugees entering our borders.
- I also voted for the American SAFE Act that requires a thorough background check of all refugees from Syria, the Middle East, and Africa. This bill passed the House in November, but the Senate has still not taken action.
Myth: Allows a taxpayer bailout of insurers.
Fact: Stops a taxpayer bailout of the risk corridor program.
More Conservative wins in the Omnibus:
- The bill stops the Obama Administration from taking action against medical professionals who refuse to perform an abortion or provide a referral to a patient seeking one.
- This bill honors our commitments to our veterans—ensures they receive their health benefits and speeds-up VA claims processing, eliminating years of bureaucratic backlog and red tape.
- Prevented Canada and Mexico from sticking the U.S. with a $1 billion fine, which would cost our Texas beef industry millions of dollars.
- The bill stops the Obama Administration from releasing or implementing controversial Dietary Guidelines for Americans unless scientifically sound.
- The bill delays the Obamacare mandate on menu labeling. Saving restaurant owners from having to comply with a number of burdensome and costly requirements.
- It boosts funding to the National Institutes of Health to help pay for groundbreaking research.
- Protects taxpayers’ dollars in the Medicare program by increasing funding to combat waste, fraud and abuse the program.
- Provides specific funding for the IRS to improve customer service, while freezing the remaining IRS funding at last year's level.
- Stops the IRS from using funds to target people because of their ideological beliefs or exercising First Amendment Rights.